Barwick joins Sport Liverpool to bid for major events
Liverpool has outlined a 10 year plan to bid for major international sports events.
The new Sport Liverpool board is led by the Brian Barwick OBE, the former controller of ITV Sport, Chair of the RFL and Chief Executive of the FA.
“I am delighted at the calibre of the people that we have been able to put together on the board - it speaks volumes for Liverpool’s track record in putting on world-class spectacles,” explained Barwick, Chair of the Sport Events Delivery Group.
“We’ve got amazing venues, an incredible location as the backdrop and an audience who are passionate about attending events.
“As a total package, it’s pretty unbeatable and we’re determined to crack on and secure and deliver memorable events whose legacy will live on long after the athletes and spectators have returned home.”
The independent board also features:
● Clare Briegal, CEO, International Netball Federation
● Eamonn McManus, Chairman, St Helens Rugby Football Club
● Professor Philip Wilson, Group Chief Executive (Academic), Global University Systems
● Charlotte O’Neill, Head of Operations and Development (Academy), Manchester City Football Club
● Steve Stuart, S. Stuart & Co.
● Tim Banfield, Director, TAB Live Consulting Ltd.
They are joined by observers:
● Councillor Wendy Simon, Acting Mayor of Liverpool
● Jen Falding, Strategic Lead for Major Sports Events at Liverpool City Council
● Chris Brown, Director of Marketing Liverpool
● Mike Kearney, Head of Sport and Recreation at Liverpool City Council
● Ben Williams, Commercial Director at ACC Liverpool
It’s been established to “maximise the opportunities” from the forthcoming Rugby League World Cup in 2021 and 2022 World Gymnastics Championships.
The board will not receive remuneration.
“We have been able to attract a top team of people at the top of their game who can maximise the opportunities that major sporting events bring to our city,” added Liverpool’s Acting Mayor, Councillor Wendy Simon.
“This is about bringing a wealth of expertise around the table, all pulling in one direction to ensure we have a continuity of purpose and direction. It’s never been more vital for us to work together to show what Liverpool is capable of.
“This will deliver on so many levels for Liverpool and the UK, not just in terms of giving athletes the best possible experience and putting on a show the city and the nation can be proud of - but also encouraging sport participation to increase activity levels in the city, as well as inspiring the next generation of athletes.”