Harvey Proctor complains to BBC about Naga Munchetty interview

Simon Austin's picture
Naga Munchetty

Former Conservative MP Harvey Proctor has complained to the BBC about an interview by Breakfast presenter Naga Munchetty, which led to him walking out halfway through.

Munchetty, who recently hit the headlines when she was rebuked - and then cleared - by the BBC for comments made regarding Donald Trump on the MediaCityUK-filmed programme, interviewed Proctor on 5 October.

He was speaking about the Operation Midland police probe into claims made by Carl Beech about a paedophile sex ring operating in Westminster.

The 72-year-old was one of a number of high-profile figures falsely accused of being a member of the ring. Proctor told Press Gazette he had filed a complaint with the BBC last Wednesday after viewer complaints about it were dismissed.

During the interview, Proctor accused Munchetty of talking over him as she tried to offer a right of reply to the Metropolitan Police.

Responding to viewers’ complaints, the BBC found Munchetty had interrupted Proctor in order to “keep the interview on track”, but said this was done “politely and professionally”.

It added: “We believe Naga Munchetty conducted the interview in a fair and understanding manner.”

During the interview, Proctor repeated accusations that Met Police Chief Cressida Dick had lied to cover up failures in the investigation.

He said Munchetty was wrong to say during the interview that Dick had been cleared of misconduct over her involvement in Operation Midland.

Submit your information for the Top 50 Integrated Agencies ranking

We'll need your details by November 4th