Channel 4 refutes report that The Steph Show will be cancelled
Channel 4 has denied reports that The Steph Show could be permanently axed following news that production staff on the programme had been stood down.
On Saturday, the Daily Mail quoted “well-placed insiders” who said the show could be scrapped. The report revealed that the entire production staff for the flagship programme - including a trio who had left senior roles at the BBC - had been laid off.
The Steph Show is fronted by former BBC Breakfast presenter Steph McGovern and was launched on March 30th from the presenter’s own home.
However, it came off air after just six weeks in late April following reports that McGovern's neighbours were unhappy with her property being turned into a makeshift television studio. Ratings were also disappointing, with just 234,000 viewers tuning in for the debut episode.
A Channel 4 spokesperson said: “We are working towards the production of The Steph Show as it was originally intended – with a live audience from a studio location in Leeds – in the autumn.
"On production resuming, our ambition is that large numbers of crew will return."
A trio of senior staff moved with McGovern from the BBC to work on the programme. Elliot Falk joined as Series Editor from The One Show, where he was Content Editor; BBC Breakfast Planning Editor Lisa Kelly was appointed Deputy Editor; and Janette Clucas, The One Show’s Series Editor, was appointed Deputy Editor – Live.
A new run of the show is planned from September and will be filmed at Channel 4’s new studio at Leeds Dock, which had been only partly constructed when lockdown began.