Very grateful to be invited back to the bbc sport team today, made mistakes, accepted responsibility & criticism. Apologize for letting myself down. Trying to be a better person— Trevor Sinclair (@trevor8sinclair) November 11, 2018
Trevor Sinclair returns to BBC after racial offence charge
Former England footballer Trevor Sinclair returned to BBC Sport this weekend - a year after being dropped as a pundit for racially abusing a police officer who had arrested him for drink-driving.
Sinclair, 45, appeared on the FA Cup Final Score programme on BBC One and later tweeted: “Very grateful to be invited back to the bbc sport team today, made mistakes, accepted responsibility & criticism. Apologize for letting myself down. Trying to be a better person.”
In January, the BBC ditched the former Manchester City winger after he was sentenced to 150 hours of community service and given a 20-month driving ban by Blackpool magistrates court.
Sinclair had pleaded guilty to drink-driving and a racially aggravated public order offence on 12 November last year. The court heard he was more than twice the legal drink-drive limit, had asked the arresting officer if he was being arrested because he was black, accused the police of racism and urinated in a police car.
Sinclair continued making racist comments after he was taken to the cells at Blackpool police station. Nick Freeman, representing Sinclair, said the catalyst for his client's behaviour was being subjected to racism in front of his family while having a meal hours earlier.
Sinclair had been a regular analyst on Football Focus and Match of the Day since retiring from the game in 2008. After he was charged, the BBC said he was employed on a freelance basis and that it had “no scheduled plans to use him on our programmes”.