Oldham man arrested for Facebook post about Christchurch massacre
A man from Oldham has been arrested after posting a message in support of the Christchurch terror attack on Facebook.
Greater Manchester Police said a 24-year-old man had been arrested on Saturday on suspicion of sending malicious communications.
Brenton Tarrant, a 28-year-old Australian, killed 50 people and injured a further 48 during the two attacks in New Zealand on Friday. The mass murders sparked global revulsion and vigils were held around the world - including in Manchester - in the aftermath of the attack.
In a separate incident, a man and a woman were arrested in Rochdale after a cab driver was abused and threatened in the early hours of Sunday morning in reference to the terror attack.
Police were called to reports of a taxi driver being threatened by members of the public in Queensway, Rochdale, at around 12.20am on Sunday. A man, 33, and woman, 34, were then arrested on suspicion of racially aggravated public order offences.
Assistant Chief Constable Russ Jackson said: “The events which happened two days ago in New Zealand continue to cause huge upset with people of all faiths from across Greater Manchester.
“It is absolutely clear that compassion, support is how the overwhelming majority of people feel and, as always, Greater Manchester stands together.
“Over the weekend we have had, however, a small number of incidents where people have either posted or made remarks referencing the horrible events in New Zealand, particularly online where people often think it is acceptable to abuse others.
“Some of these comments are frankly disgusting. I am amazed how some people think it is acceptable to make such careless and disrespectful remarks.
“People are entitled to free speech and this is always respected, however, where this crosses the boundary into criminal offences, let me be really clear, we will make arrests and if the evidence is there we will seek the prosecution of those involved.”