Web Designer / Front-end Developer
We have a permanent role for an experienced and inspired digital designer with front-end developer skills who has an eye for detail and a passion for making beautiful usable websites.
You’re passionate about design and technology, you love to craft wonderful websites based on beautiful branding.
You’ll work with an award winning team of 15 digital, development, graphic and brand professionals in a forward thinking agency based in the shiny new Tomorrow Building in MediaCityUK.
You love all things web design, from wire-framing, prototyping and final build, creating assets for your designs in Adobe Creative Suite, developing page layouts in Sketch and hand-coding them in HTML / CSS / WordPress.
You’ll learn our processes and contribute your own, collaborating closely with our project managers, designers and illustrators. We believe that design is an iterative process so you’ll need to be self-motivated to meet challenging deadlines with a ‘can do’ attitude.
Our expectations of you:
- Great commercial portfolio with examples of web design and HTML, we’ll want you to talk through your portfolio with us.
- You can hand-code HTML / CSS.
- You have experience using Sass and/or PostCSS and are familiar with modern CSS features.
- WordPress theme design and development – most of our sites are built in WordPress, but we also work with other technologies.
- You are creative and forward thinking in your approach to building websites.
- You can integrate well with a team of developers, creatives and account managers.
- You enjoy involvement in projects from initial concept through to delivery.
- You are willing and confident in communicating with clients independently.
Some things we’d find attractive about you:
- A portfolio of project work to be proud of!
- Ability to create attractive website designs for desktop and mobile devices.
- Ability to build device tested, fully responsive websites using a mobile-first approach.
- Your sites are performance tested and accessible so they pass WCAG guidelines.
- Experience working with SVG graphics on the web.
- The code you write is modern and cross-browser compatible.
- Experience using Sass and PostCSS and are familiar with modern CSS features.
- Git fundamentals and knowledge (using command line or a GUI).
- Great knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud applications and Sketch.
- Happy to work and learn alongside other senior Web Designers, Front-end and Back-end Developers.
- 2+ years agency experience.
Bonus skills and knowledge:
If you know some of this stuff, you’ll be our perfect match:
- Basic knowledge of PHP, our designers tend to graft in some simple PHP syntax to help the Back-end Developers bind designs with the WordPress theme development.
- Knowledge or experience of version control – we use Github.
- A passion for design coupled to an interest in UI / UX.
- You can manage self manage your project time, adopt our workflows and stick to budgets.
- You love asking questions and making suggestions, at Carbon we love to knowledge share.
- You are open to help with training and mentoring, this role would suit an experienced digital designer with good coding knowledge who’s looking to improve both their web design and front-end development skills.
We’ve got some amazing things to offer you. For a start you’ll get to work alongside our super friendly team of 14 other award winning creatives, developers and account managers working in a truly supportive environment, not to mention…
- Excellent base salary.
- Company pension scheme.
- State of the art Apple Mac + Herman Miller Desk Station.
- Super cool office in the heart of MediaCityUK.
- Great opportunities for career progression.
- A monthly budget to spend on books, apps, events etc.
- Company support to help train and develop your skills.
- Team trips to web related events.
- Your birthday off.
- 21 holidays per year plus bank holidays.
- Ride2Work scheme.
How to apply:
We can’t wait to hear from you, we’re so excited!
Please email a short message about yourself, a link to your portfolio and a CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You could also include links to your GitHub, CodePen etc, if you have them (then our devs can get excited by your code).