Senior Portfolio Manager - Indie Growth Fund (Leeds)
C4's Indie Growth Fund will be moving to Leeds to be based in the new national HQ. We are recruiting for an experienced Senior Portfolio Manager to protect and manage the fund’s interests in a portfolio of investee companies.
The role is part of the C4 Indie Growth Fund team, led by the Head of Growth Fund. The Growth Fund team is responsible for management of an investment fund that invests in small and medium sized independent TV and digital production companies based in the UK.
The fund is overseen by an Advisory Board consisting of C4 Execs and senior creative advisers from across the TV industry. The Growth Fund will be based in Leeds at C4’s National HQ but the role will require significant travel around the UK.
This senior role is primarily to protect and manage the fund’s interests in a portfolio of investee companies.
This will involve working with the finance and management teams of investee companies to set and help them achieve targets, to offer constructive commercial guidance and to be their key relationship manager at C4.The role will deputise for the Department Head and be involved in key decision making. It is essential to have a strong knowledge of and experience of working in/with the indie production sector, alongside a financial background and outstanding commercial acumen.
- Portfolio Management; including but not limited to regular reviews of business plan, cash flow and overheads for each investee company, annual strategic reviews, managing and guiding investee companies and their incoming queries
- C4 Reporting; contribution to Financial Dashboard summarising monthly financial information from investees and ad hoc contribution to any other papers on investee performance
- Feedback to Growth Fund Advisory Board meetings on performance and any potential issues with the investee companies
- Review and make recommendations on financial and management best practice
- Following up on work needed arising from investee Board meetings & management accounts
- Comment on financial systems, team structure & resources of investees
- Sensitive handling of confidential information in reviewing financial and other management information, preparation of papers for review by C4, and in general correspondence and team meetings.
- Provides ad hoc research and analysis support for the team, including researching for market information or data and presenting it in a clear manner
- Works on ad-hoc projects for the Growth Fund team which may require the ability to understand new concepts and find out information
Essential Skills and Experience Required
- Prior experience of working in Independent TV Production companies
- A Fully Qualified Accountant
- Experience of operating at Commercial Director level or similar
- Experience of working in an Indie with an external corporate investor/or experience of working for an external corporate entity investing in Indies
- A strong understanding of effective Investor Relations
- Excellent communication skills
- Proven ability to interact confidently and effectively with senior business leaders and staff at all levels
- Proven ability to build effective relationships with investee companies
- Ability to builds and maintain valued and trusted relationship with Directors, Executives, senior managers and peers across the channel
- Excellent organisational skills and attention to detail, given the number of companies in the Growth Fund portfolio.
- Excellent financial analysis ability
- Strong presentation skills both in creation and delivery
- Advanced Excel skills
- Comprehensive working knowledge of Word, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Ability to manage own workload and prioritise effectively
- Be comfortable spending 50% of the working week travelling to visit investor companies and other C4 locations
- Genuine enthusiasm and interest in the Indie sector and the way in which this is impacted by the broader media landscape
- Is passionate about the C4 remit