Based at Alderley Park, Medicines Discovery Catapult is a national facility connecting the UK community to accelerate innovative drug discovery. We provide unique scientific capabilities and act as a gateway to UK resources and expertise, supporting UK SMEs to drive the development and industrialisation of new approaches for the discovery of new medicines.
By validating new ways of discovering medicines and driving key talent and expertise across the sector, we will support the UK life sciences industry, SMEs and innovators to deliver growth for the UK economy and maintain the UK’s heritage position as a global leader in medicines R&D. Ultimately, new industrialised technologies are vital for delivering new medicines to patients, faster.
In March 2020 Medicines Discovery Catapult was tasked with the challenge of co-ordinating the creation of the UK’s Lighthouse Labs network and delivery of one of those labs, based at Alderley Park. The Lighthouse Labs are the biggest diagnostic lab project ever established in British history.
Purpose of role:
As an enthusiastic communications professional, you will drive and implement a broad range of communications to a diverse range of stakeholders, supporting Medicines Discovery Catapult’s business strategy. With a creative flair and a passion for the written word you will work with all departments across the business to identify newsworthy opportunities, whilst ensuring alignment of messaging, to enhance the reputation and profile of Medicines Discovery Catapult.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Working with the Senior Communications Manager and Head of Stakeholder Communications, develop and implement an integrated communications strategic plan that disseminates consistent messages to the biosciences community, the media, as well as to employees.
- Working with the Senior Communications Manager and the Marketing Manager, support marketing campaigns that lead to successful business development.
- Draft press releases, statements, copy, quotes, case studies, Q&A and presentations.
- Maintain relationships with trade and national media, selling in activity
- Work in collaboration with PR agencies
- Generate fresh story ideas, copy, edit, proofread, and revise communications
- Monitor media coverage, industry trends and compile media monitoring reports
- Oversee the strategic planning, implementation, and tracking of specific communications to support the events calendar
- Consult on reputational issues / risk mitigation
- Contribute to raising the profile of Medicines Discovery Catapult, driving communication campaigns which support the business strategy and R&D income generating initiatives
Qualifications and experience:
- Press office, public relations or journalism experience
- A proven track record in press release writing and media sell in to achieve coverage across trade, national and broadcast press. (Experience of using media databases such as Gorkana, Meltwater)
- Demonstrable ability to build strong media relations and deliver PR campaigns with impact
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to ensure effective communication with a wide range of contacts both internal and external
- Experience in the life sciences sector (highly desirable) and a BSc or equivalent qualification in a relevant subject (desirable)
- Good attention to detail
- A flexible, pro-active approach to work including the ability to prioritise and re-prioritise to achieve successful outcomes.
- Ability to deal with sensitive information with discretion and to maintain confidentiality at all times
- Ability to organise and plan own work, with a track record of consistent delivery on time
- Ability to translate complex technical messages to a variety of audiences, to write in a clear and accessible manner
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Demonstration of the ability to work under sustained pressure and to tight deadlines
- Excellent IT skills including working knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software packages, preferably Microsoft Office Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Excellent team working skills with the ability to work collaboratively and co-operatively with colleagues
- Suitable qualifications in Maths (minimum GCSE grade B or equivalent) and English (minimum GCSE grade A or equivalent)
Duration: fixed term until 31st March 2022
Location: Alderley Edge, Cheshire / Flexible