Communications Manager - Manchester
MAG is the country’s largest airport group. We own Manchester, Stansted and East Midlands Airports.
Are you a high-flying Communications and PR professional? If so, Manchester Airport has the role for you.
We are looking for someone to come and join the Corporate Affairs team to manage the Communications/PR team. Managing a small team and ad hoc agencies, you will be responsible for creating and delivering our PR plans making sure media and key stakeholders across the UK hear, see, read and learn all about the benefits the UK’s third biggest airport delivers.
As well as profiling all the great work that goes on at the busy Northern hub, you will also play a key role in a crisis and protect the airport’s reputation at times of issue.
You will also work closely with other departments within Corporate Affairs including Social Media, Community Relations and Public Affairs
It’s an exciting time to come and lead one of the busiest Press Offices in the North with a £1bn transformation ongoing and a range of high-profile new routes and airlines coming in 2020.
Typical Duties will include:
- Line management of the Communications Officer, ensuring their ongoing development and strong results
- Supervision and mentoring of the wider Social Media team to ensure they are fully aligned with our objectives
- Manage the relationship with Internal Communications to ensure that external campaigns resonate effectively with our internal audiences.
- Operate as a “key account manager” for designated areas of the business, meeting regularly with relevant senior managers to provide media analysis of their business unit and develop and deliver communication strategies
- To develop and maintain key media contacts and a working knowledge of the media industry developing strong relationships with journalists and editors, understanding their needs and enabling key messages to be delivered to target audiences. Especially within the outer catchment to ensure our message is told positively and successfully across the North
- To be responsible for MAN’s media strategy, covering proactive activity aligned to wider business objectives and reactive policies, procedures and processes
- To research accurate verbal and written responses to a broad range of media enquiries, to agreed standards and deadlines, to protect and enhance the company’s reputation and minimise the effects of any negative coverage
- To take a lead role in handling the media in crisis and emergency situations, formulating statements and exchanging information and advice with appropriate agencies including Government, airlines and the emergency services. Part of this will see the Communications Manager own the on-call rota and be a key contact for the emergency planning team
- To investigate, approve and manage, within the Press Office approvals system, the setting up of news and current affairs filming/photography (and occasional drama filming) on the airport site, including carrying out necessary internal and external liaisons/clearances
- To design and deliver relevant media-related events in a complex operational environment including taking accountability for associated budget.
- To act as the first point of contact for journalists, operational colleagues and external partners as part of a 24/7 out of hours service
- Develop and deliver engagement plans with specialist and trade press to ensure MAN has a constant presence in all relevant features and articles
- To be the lead with communications contacts at other partner organisations (e.g. councils, transport providers, Border Force etc.), ensuring they are aligned to our messaging/objectives, influencing their activity and agreeing devise collaborative ways of working
- Proven working experience gained in a similar industry or role is essential for this role
- Excellent oral and written English to a professional standard
- Experience in a busy, high-level Press Office environment of a sizeable business
- Experience of team management
- Track record in delivering effective local and regional communications activity to support promotion of consumer and corporate issues
- Experience in reputational and crisis communications
- Experience of working with senior management teams
- Experience of challenging situations and the need to influence others for commercial/reputational gain
- Strong press relationships and network
- Intelligent, commercially and politically astute and able to work at pace within a complex stakeholder environment
- Agency or in-house experience in an infrastructure/regulated industry
- PR/comms experience in the aviation/airline industry desirable
- Degree educated, or equivalent is desirable
- Good judgement with an ability to work under pressure
- Good team player, diplomatic, with an ability to manage up and down
What we Offer
MAG offers a competitive salary plus pension, with annual bonus. Monthly on call allowance, free parking and benefits package.
We are an employer of choice and can offer unparalleled career and development opportunities in an exciting and dynamic business.
This role will close once we have received sufficient applications.