Chief Operating Officer
True North is one of the UK’s most successful TV companies. Working across genres, we make award winning content for all the key broadcasters from our bases in Leeds and Manchester.
We’re gearing up for expansion as the ‘Out of London’ drive gets underway, and we’re looking for an energetic, organised senior leader - from a creative environment - to be our COO.
The job is an opportunity to help take True North on to even greater success - from its current position as the biggest factual production company in the North of England.
As a three-times Best Place to Work company, we want someone who will love what’s already made us great and have the vision – and drive – to work with our team to make us even better.
We are looking for someone with proven commercial, financial and organisational leadership skills at a senior level. Ideally, they would come from within a broadcaster or another indie but we are open to applications from related commercial/creative industries.
The job would be based in Leeds but involve working between our Leeds and Manchester sites as well as frequent trips to London. We would expect our COO to be based within reach of both offices.
There’s a competitive package, including a bonus, available for the right candidate – and the opportunity to be at the heart of something very exciting.
The Chief Operating Officer will work alongside our Production Head, our Finance Director and the company’s Creative Directors to ensure that the company is not just commercially and creatively successful – and fit for a fast-changing future - but builds on its reputation as a great place to work.
- Making sure True North’s commercial and creative ambitions are supported by a first-class corporate structure - identifying organisational issues where change is needed and making appropriate recommendations for action.
- Negotiating and managing our production and management contracts, including Business Affairs discussions with broadcasters.
- Engaging with daily legal and compliance issues in both the production and corporate parts of the business. Seeking more specialised legal advice where necessary.
- Ensuring that the company’s IPR is fully managed and exploited through our parent company Sky Vision and other distribution partners.
- Ensuring the company’s IT is fit for purpose across both sites.
- Working with the Head of Post Production to ensure our first-class Post Production facilities are optimised for internal and external clients.
- Joining the Senior Management Team in preparing annual budgeting/forecasting.
- Dealing with office management across both Leeds and Manchester, including leases etc.
- Ensuring our key policies, including GDPR, are up to date and complied with within the company.
- Making sure that True North’s approach to HR is effective and delivering fully for our team.
- Taking part in negotiations with ‘Talent’ and their agents.
- Ensuring that everyone within the company has clear and effective line management.
- Managing and dealing effectively with procurement to make sure we achieve the best possible value from the company’s resources.
The successful candidate will report directly to True North’s Founders and Majority Management Shareholders and beyond that to the company’s Board of Directors.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the line management of Operations, Business Compliance, Production, Post Production, IT, Legal and Business Affairs, Office Management and HR.
He or she will be expected to develop a collaborative, high-performance team culture, where team members are aware of their responsibilities to each other and to the company in a wider sense, including compliance with key policies.
The COO will also be expected to play a key role in supporting True North’s commitment to the television industry’s Diversity initiative.
The successful candidate is likely to be someone who has already held a senior management role in a television production company or digital media agency or held a relevant senior position inside a broadcaster.
They will have a passion for television, and an interest in and understanding of the technological and behavioural changes that are transforming the industry. It’s likely they will already have been a key decision maker, and understand the relevant commercial, legal and compliance framework.
He or she will have a proven ability to plan, lead and thrive when the heat is on, and will probably already have shown a commitment to working with and nurturing a talented and creative team.
We would also expect a significant knowledge of the key principles underpinning the business, commissioning and administrative process of television production.
To apply please send a CV and a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with COO in the subject line.