Bolton News to celebrate 150th anniversary with souvenir edition
The Bolton News will celebrate its 150th anniversary on Sunday with the publication of a special 48-page souvenir edition
It will feature a history of the newspaper from its launch in 1867 and include:
- How the paper showcased famous authors such as Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, H G Wells, Thomas Hardy and Robert Louis Stevenson through its Fiction Bureau
- Pieces from its 11 surviving editors
- Essays from former and current journalists
- A reproduction of the very first front page
- Photographs from the archives and headlines from news and sport through the years
Ian Savage, editor in chief of the paper since 2008, said: “It is a momentous occasion to be celebrating 150 years of The Bolton News and I am very proud.
“I am lucky to have a fantastic team working with me and everyone has worked extremely hard to put this commemorative edition together, which for the first time that I can remember will see us publish on a Sunday, which is the actual date of our anniversary.
“I am sure the special edition will be very popular; it is a fitting tribute to a strong, independent newspaper that has been at the heart of its community for a long time.”