Marketing Liverpool is the city’s destination marketing organisation and has responsibility for promoting the Visitor Economy. It is part of Liverpool Vision, the city’s economic development company, working with the support and strategic leadership of Liverpool City Council and the Mayor of Liverpool.
Marketing Liverpool is recruiting for a new post being Head of Tourism. This key role will provide strategic, creative, innovative and strong commercial leadership for the Visit Liverpool team, thereby ensuring that all resources are used effectively and efficiently.
The role will not only include the work required to maintain and grow the destination but to lead the development of the Liverpool Visitor Economy Network
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
The following section outlines the principal responsibilities:
1. In the light of continuing reductions in traditional public sector finances, drive and manage cultural change and continually review all aspects of the Visit Liverpool operation to ensure services are being effectively delivered.
2. Direct and coordinate an integrated and comprehensive programme of tourism destination marketing for Liverpool and where appropriate the City Region.
3. Develop an integrated marketing and communications plan which meet the requirements of a dynamic, fast moving industry and increase the city region’s market share.
4. Work closely with the Director and Head of Marketing Liverpool in developing new and innovative projects that grow the remit of the organisition and its commercial income.
5. Lead the Visit Liverpool team, providing strong leadership and direction to undertake a range of projects, campaigns and events.
6. Maximise the PR opportunities that the sector presents with the focus being on International and National media
7. Develop Visit Liverpool to deliver on behalf of the City Region as well as the City and maximise relationships with appropriate private and public sector organisations.
8. Develop partnerships with local, national and international organisations, which improve the city’s position as a leading UK visitor destination.
9. Lead in conjunction with the ML Director on programmes being developed at National level that could benefit the LCR e.g – Northern Futures
10. Manage annual tourism budget, generating income and authorising all expenditure whilst ensuring value for money.
11. Develop, manage and increase private sector involvement with the functions of Visit Liverpool
12. Work as appropriate with key strategic partners like Culture Liverpool, LARC, The Hoteliers Association and the Liverpool Attractions Group
13. Develop the team to ensure that all elements of “ content” marketing are maximised and used effectively
14. Any other duites which may be relevant to the success of the role
1. Management experience in a visitor economy setting with particular knowledge of marketing, communications and digital media, relative to tourism development.
2. Extensive skills in strategic planning, organisation and effective communication are essential.
3. Private sector and commercial experience essential preferably in a visitor economy setting
4. Strong creative, strategic, analytical, organizational and commercial skills.
5. Experience in managing budgets, supervising and appraising team members.
6. Must be results driven, well organised and able to manage several projects simultaneously.
7. Experience in managing a cross functional team to realise the goals and objectives of Marketing Liverpool.
8. Ability to plan, organize, and effectively present ideas, concepts to stakeholders including leisure operators, city officials, public bodies and community groups.
9. Ability to identify and secure funding/grants from external sources.
10. Track record of undertaking research and analysing key data sources to inform strategic direction of the organisation.
11. Previous experience of growing product, offerings or attractions in a tourism or conference organisation setting is desirable, but not essential.
12. An enthusiastic and energetic self-starter with experience of motivating a team.
Any other duties which may be relevant to the purpose of the job
ML is a Membership organisation with Members and stakeholders contributing financially as well as to our plans and activities.
ML will operate a new membership operation in comjunction with the LEP with affect from the 1st July 2015 so it will be an important part of the role of the Head of Tourism to support the development of this function.