Hyperlocal Today is a new publishing company pioneering a form of local news journalism that is mobile-first, remote, lean and sustainable.
After a hugely successful first site with Altrincham Today – which in just over a year has built an audience of over 80,000 unique monthly visitors, in a town of 45,000 people, and a social media community of over 13,000 – the concept is now being rolled out across the UK.
Our concept is based on the idea that in the era of the smartphone and social media, the whole notion of both local news consumption and generation has been transformed. While the bigger publishers restructure and adjust their traditionally print-first newsrooms to the reality of the times, there’s a huge opportunity for knowledgeable and skilled journalists to claim territories that are under-served by the bigger publishers.
As such, our multi-skilled editors work remotely, at the heart of the communities they cover, bringing a quality and depth to the hyperlocal issues that have often been ignored, often in places that fall between the city-centric focus of the bigger publishers.
We’re therefore looking for entrepreneurial journalists who want to grab this opportunity and ‘own’ their particular town. Whether it’s Didsbury Today, Birkenhead Today, Harrogate Today or wherever, your site will quickly become the number one hub for news and information in your town.
We already have a number of senior journalists who have either committed to a patch or registered an interest. You can read more on Hold The Front Page.
Here’s what we offer:
- The exclusive use in your town of a bespoke, mobile-first, cutting-edge platform, created by the same development team behind the award-winning The Lincolnite
- Complete design and build of your website using an identical template to the Altrincham Today site (estimated lead time: 2-3 weeks)
- A dedicated hosting resource with daily back-ups, plus hosting support
- Comprehensive technical site maintenance, support and updates
- Use of a dedicated e-newsletter service
- All required graphic design assets, including site logo and social logos
- Set-up of social media accounts
- Full training and documentation where required in WordPress usage, news and feature photography, and video editing
- Full media liability insurance
- The opportunity to quickly grow the site into a profitable business or revenue stream (you will keep 80% of all income your site generates)
You’ll get all this for just £150 per month (less than the revenue generated by one advertiser a month), with no additional set-up charge.
What we’re looking for:
- Entrepreneurial journalists with newspaper and/or online experience
- Excellent writing ability is a given; photography and video experience preferable (although training will be given). Use of a smartphone is a must
- Must have a passion for their patch, as well as significant knowledge and contacts
- At least 10 hours’ commitment per week (dependent on the size of the town)
You can read more about the opportunity on the Hyperlocal Today site here.