We’re looking for a truly digital content producer with excellent editorial instincts.
The right candidate should be able to spot what a great story looks like, across a broad range of news sport and entertainment content, and be able to present it in the most engaging way possible to an online audience of millions.
The Central Editorial Team sits at the heart of the BBC, online. Based at BBC North in Salford, we connect our audiences with the BBC’s content on desktop, mobile, tablet, Red Button and Connected TV services. We produce the BBC homepage (www.bbc.co.uk), trusted by 8 million people a week to take them to the best of the BBC’s online offering. We also produce imagery for the BBC’s award-winning iPlayer, add vital editorial colour and direction to the pan-BBC search engine, and support and promote Red Button services used by more than 17m people a week.
Alongside that we also provide advice and support on issues which adversely affect users, or compromise BBC editorial standards.
The Content Producer is central to running our live desks, responsible for finding and delivering the best content for our audiences.
On any day they could be writing copy, publishing stories and reacting to breaking news on the bbc.co.uk homepage; sourcing images for TV and Radio shows from programme teams and using the latest editing software to create and publish them on iPlayer; or managing the release of content onto red button TV services to support a huge range of high-profile events such as Wimbledon, Glastonbury and Eurovision.
They will be expected to supervise the Assistant Content Producers and work with technical and programme teams from across the BBC. They are accountable for the compliance of the content published with the BBC’s editorial guidelines.
The Ideal Candidate
• We are looking for a talented Producer with an up-to-date knowledge of the BBC’s output alongside demonstrable editorial and creative flair.
• They will have a firm appreciation of how audiences use digital media and an understanding of the most effective ways to engage with them.
• You should have demonstrable experience of creating online content and of writing clear, concise copy and Photoshop skills are essential.
• You will need to have excellent planning and organising skills and it is important to have experience of delivering to tight deadlines within a live, public-facing environment, preferably incorporating News content.
• You will be fully conversant in BBC Compliance and Legal regulations.
• Excellent communication and team working skills are vital.
• You will be looking to strengthen your editorial and managerial expertise and be flexible enough to work across a number of different desks and shift patterns.
6 month fixed term contract
The department has core hours of 0700-2000 Mon-Fri and 0900-1700 at the weekend. It is operational 365 days a year with all staff expected to contribute to shift, weekend and Bank Holiday working.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are very important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.