Two weeks after the BBC confirmed that “another broadcaster” had poached The Voice, ITV has announced it has signed a deal to broadcast the talent show as well as a spin-off ITV2 show.

The broadcaster had previously refused to comment on reports it had bought the primetime Saturday night show, but ITV director of television, Peter Fincham, today revealed it had agreed a three-year deal as well as committing to two series of a children’s version, The Voice Kids.

He also seemed to suggest that the programme had a place “alongside” The X Factor, rather than replacing it as some had suggested.

Read more

BBC looks for ‘uplifting’ programme ideas after losing The Voice

He said: “ITV is the natural home of big entertainment so we are thrilled that The Voice and The Voice Kids are both joining our family alongside brilliant shows like The X Factor, Britain’s Got Talent, Saturday Night Takeaway and I’m A Celebrity…Get Me Out of Here.”

Earlier this month ITV confirmed its contract with X Factor had another year left to run, and said it planned to air a new series in 2016.

The BBC’s final series of The Voice UK begins in January, with Boy George and Paloma Faith on the new look judging panel alongside Ricky Wilson and

Owned by production company Talpa Global, The Voice started life as a Dutch talent show in 2010.

It now has around 65 versions broadcast in 180 countries, and nearly 30 versions of the junior edition The Voice Kids.

Filming for the BBC’s version of The Voice has taken place at Dock 10 in MediaCityUK.