The historic base of the Yorkshire Post and Yorkshire Evening Post in Leeds is set to be demolished.
Staff moved out of the landmark building last year, when it was put up for sale, but now it’s emerged that Johnston Press has submitted a demolition order to Leeds City Council.
The building, which sits on Leeds’ inner ring road was opened in 1970 by Prince Charles. At its peak, more than 1300 staff worked out of it.
The report, which was submitted to the council earlier this month stated that the demolition was a “necessary first stage in preparing the site for redevelopment.” While it acknowledged that there was “some local interest” in the building, there was “limited” architectural and historical interest.
The council is expected to make a decision next month.